Spotify is a music, podcast, and video streaming service. Music can be browsed or searched for via various parameters, such as artist, album, genre, playlist name, or record label. Users can create, edit and share playlists, share tracks on social media, and make joint playlists with other users. Spotify provides access to over 30 million songs. As a capstone project, Spotify and Designlab have collaborated to create a new feature for the existing Spotify music app that would increase in-app user engagement.
Spotify would like to increase their in-app engagement and allow users to be creative with their already existing content. Since 2015, Spotify has announced multiple significant updates to the service that have truly broadened their feature set. They launched Discover Weekly, Spotify Run, Spotify Original Content, and the ability to find and book concert tickets to see your favorite artist live. Spotify’s creative solutions push the boundaries of music sharing and discovery.
Create a feature that allows users to remix songs from Spotify's vast music library with preconfigured remix filters and share their unique content with the world.
I am following a user-centered approach, allowing myself to be guided by user
research and frequently iterating on each step according to newly accumulated data.
I started out my process by doing market research on current apps and features that allow users to be creative with music. I also researched Spotify’s existing features in-depth and discovered some DJ/Remixing features that they either currently employ or did in the past. I found that there was a lot of room for improvement in the market. There was no easy way to remix a song that didn't involve too much fiddling. I created a research plan consisting of user interviews, surveys and secondary research. After interviewing my first round of participants I had a better understanding of my target market, so I conducted a second round of interviews with the target demographic. I was able to gain some insight into the mindset of my target market and what they need and want from a remix feature.
After creating personas and an empathy map I was able to really empathize with the users. I decided there was one primary persona which was a young adult, a millennial, and another secondary persona, who was older but more serious about music. The key insights I gathered for moving forward amounted to creating a feature that involves little to no work on the user's part, since most users were too lazy to fiddle around with something new.
The user needs a new way to put their own twist on what they listen to because they enjoy opportunities to be interactive with their music.
I created a UX strategy blueprint to focus the research and direct the project moving forward. I created a product roadmap and decided what would be included in the MVP as well as features for the next version of the app.
I then created an app map of the existing structure of the Spotify app and found the best way to introduce the new feature into the flow.
After sketching some first drafts, I moved onto higher fidelity sketched wireframes. Below are a few of the first versions of the wireframes before testing and iterations.
Because I was working with Spotify’s existing interface, I went straight from sketched wireframes to high-fidelity mockups for prototyping. I built out all the screens using Spotify’s UI, incorporating anything new that was needed for the new feature.
I created a user flow with mockups to identify any gaps and ensure a smooth flow to create a remix.
I created a prototype using Invision based on the high-fidelity wireframes I had created in Sketch. My objectives were to find out if the remix feature was intuitive, if people understood the feature fully and how users would choose to remix their song. I looked to assess how the user understands and navigates the app to remix a song and what, if any, were their pain points along the way. Testing was conducted with 5 people who fit the target-market. They were to complete 4 different tasks. I found that users were confused by how to edit the filter right after selecting one and by where to click to remix a song. I made the necessary revisions to my prototype and tested again with zero errors.
The next step in the process would be to conduct subsequent rounds of usability tests on my wireframes—specifically, click and navigation tests—and iterate based on the results. I would also work on follow-up features that would build on the new form of user engagement that is enabled by this remix feature. That might include the ability to publicly share and recommend remixes to a larger audience.